Management and leadership training
- Does your employee survey show gaps in the effectiveness of managers and leaders?
- Do you find that managers struggle to know how to create a productive work environment and build high-performing teams?
- Is the organisation undergoing a culture change initiative?
- Is the company planning to invest in developing the skills and capability of managers and leaders?
ABC will design and deliver a learning programme that matches your needs and budget and results in the change you are seeking.
To meet the demands and pace of work, ABC can design the learning to fit into busy schedules. We can run short classroom/virtual modules if managers find it difficult to take time out of work. Ideally we will combine these with coaching – either one-to-one or in small groups to support the managers in implementing the skills and techniques. We can also provide further information and support for those who want to explore the topics in more detail.
Here are some examples of popular programmes:
1. Leadership programme:
Before the workshop: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (personality profile) with individual coaching sessions on the profile to identify learning objectives.
Workshop modules: Highly interactive to experience, discuss and reflect and put the learning into practice.
- Lead self – self-awareness, emotional intelligence, communication/influencing and establishing your leadership style.
- Lead others – teamwork, motivating and engaging others, collaboration, developing team members and dealing with difficult situations
- Lead the organisation – strategic thinking, creative problem-solving, understanding organisational culture and leading change.
After the workshops: Putting the learning into action is the most important part, so the modules are complemented by individual coaching or Action Learning Sets. This continues after the modules to encourage sustainable implementation.
Note: Any of these topics can be delivered as a separate workshop.
2. Coaching skills for managers:
Workshop on coaching skills and process, including plenty of practise, plus a follow-up session a few weeks later.
3. Developing potential:
1-day workshop on the role of the manager in supporting the development and careers of their team members; includes techniques for employee engagement.
“The diverse group lent an opportunity to engage in multiple perspectives. The programme gave the opportunity for self-reflection and provided tools needed for improvement; tools that could easily be applied in most work environments. Amanda was clear, supportive and passionate in delivering the valuable lessons. I would recommend ABC.” Laurie F, CFO
Amanda says, “I love working with managers over time and seeing how they progress as they implement the learning. Working in a group offers multiple views and experiences, so it is rich learning for participants. Many organisations use this approach to help their managers build their networks and support a cohesive leadership culture.”
Most people achieve results through working with others, either a group of people who contribute to the task or project, or a team who have a shared task, with a common outcome.
If you are about to start a new project or know your team or group is not achieving the quality results it should be, contact me to find out how ABC could help.
High performing teams have a shared sense of purpose and mutual commitment. They ineract effectively with open communication. Each person in the team knows their role and understands their contribution to the team’s success, taking responsibility to ensure they deliver both individually and as a team.
ABC can design learning to meet the needs of your team, starting where they are at and showing them how to reach high performance.
- Team-building is activity-based, designed to support the team members to be effective as a team.
- It may include a personality profile beforehand, which can then be used as the framework for improving communication and relationships. For outdoor activities, ABC partners with specialist providers.
- Team coaching takes a similar approach to individual coaching, but works with the whole team at the same time. We may use personality profiles or other feedback tools to support the coaching. The coach responds to the needs of the team and works with the team to help them achieve the goals. Team coaching is a programme of team sessions to build sustainable capability in the team.
Amanda says, “Team coaching can be very demanding for all tea members, and the deep understanding and shared commitments it generates are highly empowering for the team, motivating them to achieve great results.”
Facilitating groups or teams
Top team facilitation
When the Top Team is not functioning as an integrated unit with shared objectives, then you can’t expect the rest of the organisation to be high performing. Top Teams have a special role to play in modelling the culture and expectations for the whole organisation. It is important that they demonstrate trust in each other; this enables trust throughout the company and oils the wheels of collaboration and teamwork.
- Is yours a newly-formed team? Or perhaps you haven’t gelled well yet? If the top team is not focussing on the important strategic goals or achieving the desired results, contact ABC for a no-obligation discussion on how to achieve team cohesion and high performance.
Amanda says, “Where the team members agree to individual coaching, we can provide different coaches, so that the leaders can be confident that their issues will remain confidential.”
- Maybe you have some highly challenging work to do as a top team – strategic thinking or creative problem-solving – and would benefit from an independent facilitator to smooth the process and interaction. ABC is pleased to work with your team in an ad-hoc way to ensure you get the best from the team members.
Many organisations have a matrix structure. This flexible structure is aimed at enabling people to come together to collaborate on projects and demands high levels of adaptability and teamwork.
The challenges of working remotely due to coronavirus add to those demands.
Facilitated project team kick-off or review meetings can help team members to progress rapidly through the early stages of forming a team. Team members are clear on their shared purpose and generate ways of working together that will sustain them through the life of the project.
Contact Amanda to discuss your situation
Strategy and change planning
Due to rapid changes in our environment, the capability for strategic thinking has become even more important. Leaders need to keep abreast of the changes and adapt the organisation to operate effectively.
ABC works with the top team and relevant stakeholders to include key perspectives in the strategic planning. When operating in conditions of uncertainty, the more relevant information available the better to inform the strategic options. We need new thinking, and ABC designs and facilitates the strategy sessions to involve the right people in the discussions and enable effective decision-making.
Research shows that most large change projects fail to deliver the planned outcomes; you can reduce this risk by focussing attention on the key factors that enable successful change. Change is becoming the norm, we work with you to plan and lead the implementation of change, so that you build people’s capability to adapt rapidly to changing operations.
Precisely what is required will depend on your specific circumstances, so contact us to discuss this further.
Amanda says, “It’s worth remembering Kotter’s 8 factors for successful change:
- Establish a sense of urgency
- Create a powerful coalition
- Create a vision
- Communicate the vision
- Empower others to act on the vision
- Plan for and create short-term wins
- Allow sufficient time to consolidate improvements
- Anchor changes in the organisation’s culture.”
“It’s easy with ABC”